Thursday, November 12, 2009

I See Red

After seeing quite a few fellow bloggers wearing lovely red lipstick and reading about the best ones to buy on Fedora Lounge I decided to dip my toes into the sea of temptation and buy a few red tubes of crimson decadence.

Unfortunately the offerings at my local Target were not large so I was only able to find one of the recommendations plus a couple others that caught my eye:



Cherries in The Snow Super Lustrous Lipstick by Revlon
20091112_17
20091112_4
This was a recommendation on Fedora Lounge. Many of the ladies swore by it. It is more pink on me than a true red but has decent staying power and looks good if I am wearing cool colors. It goes on nice and creamy and the formula isn't drying. Not too matte, but not really shiny. A good lipstick I give it 4 stars out of 5.

Are You Red-Dy ColorSensational Lipstick by Maybelline
20091112_18
20091112_5
This color is more of an orange-red. A very good retro color. Nice with warm colors. The lipstick is creamier that the Revlon one with a bit more shine, but that also means that it does not stay on my lips as well. I had to reapply it much more. It also "traveled" to other parts of my face. I found it on my chin after a meal and a dab on my cheek after a kiss with my hubby. 3.5 stars out of 5

Top Tomato ColorStay Ultimate Lipcolor by Revlon
20091112_19
20091112_10
I was enticed to buy this lipcolor by the display featuring actress Jeniffer Connally wearing the colour I purchased. On her it was beautifully glossy and shiny. It looked so luxe! Well that was very deceptive. This lipcolor is like paint in a tube. You have to be very careful how you apply it. It dries to a very matte finish that does not transfer and is hard to get off. It is also drying to the lips. Make sure you have exfoliated and moisturized well. The colour is a true red so it is really lovely but it does not have that nice shine the display promised.
20091112_11
Here I have used a Vitamin E lip balm to give it a bit of gloss. I will have to buy a clear, shiny lip gloss to get the effect I really want. If it wasn't for the drying effects of the formula and the deceiving advertising I would have given this 5 out of 5, but it will have to be 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Fire Line & Define Lip Pencil by Boots No7
20091112_20
To line my lips and keep the lip colour from bleeding I looked for a nice red lip pencil. The only one I found with a great red colour was from Boots No7. It went well with all the red lipsticks I bought and defined my lips perfectly. It is of the no-sharpening variety which is lovely in my book. I always lose my sharpener as it is!


So now I have three shades of red. That is probably enough, but I do want to hear what is your favourite red. Especially since not one of these was deemed perfect!

Pel

3 comments:

  1. the first one is my favorite! i'm a cherry chapstick kind of girl but need to venture out a bit and try a red! thanks for the visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to try(including me):
    Retrofuturist by Lime Crime
    It's a gorgeous looking red!
    ~TabiKittey

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAC Russian Red is a beautiful shade for cool skin tones-it is a matte-finish blue-based red that really brightens up a tired or stressed face. It also gives the wearer a nice uber-feminine feeling when wearing it (I always feel a little like Wonder Woman when wearing mine). It IS a bit expensive ($14 at the MAC makeup counter) but is otherwise an excellent find. You should definately give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails